Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Quick Knitting Projects



I finished up this hat and mitten set for my daughter last night. They were both so simple and quick, I love projects like that! I found this yarn on sale at Hobby Lobby for 99 cents! It is usually 4.98 and it matched her new winter coat perfectly, so of course I had to get some. The hat was such a simple pattern that I got from Martha Stewart's website a while back. Its the kind of pattern that does not require double sided needles, which scare me to death, and is not in the round or anything else scary like that! You basically knit a rectangle, decrease a few rows on the top, fold in half and sew up the side and top seams. I can try to find the pattern if anyone is really interested. I wasn't sure if mittens would be warm/waterproof enough if I just knit them, so I decided to make some out of fleece. I had this purple stuff on hand, but it didn't really match the coat, so I just stitch a little yarn across the tops to make them sort of coordinate. I didn't put thumbs in because 1.) they seemed rather time consuming and 2.) It is impossible to get a 17-month old's thumbs in there anyway, so why bother. Here is my beautiful model...
And here is the set with the coat...what do ya think?
Another knitting project I finished a while back is this man scarf. I find it very hard to find yarn and patterns that are masculine. I made this for my brother for Christmas, which he hasn't gotten yet because of a nasty flu bug that kept them home. I really don't think he reads my blog, but if he does, oh well. The surprise is out of the bag. Anyway...I used an entire big skein of yarn for this scarf. I wanted it to be really wide and extra long (my brother is very tall). He has a dark brown wool coat, so I think this will look nice with it.
That's all folks! Until tomorrow....

3 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

very nice projects!!! good call on skipping the thumbs on the mittens....my boys have gloves and it drives me crazy trying to get 10 little fingers into the right spaces...it's not an easy task! the hat and mittens look great with her new coat. she is a great model, too. so adorable!
The scarf for Rob looks great. I've had the same problem trying to find yarn that will look masculine enough. I usually end up using the boring acrylic yarn.

maggiegracecreates said...

I love the outfit. And she too too cute.

Have a wonderful day.

Vallen said...

The hat and mittens are perfect together with the coat. I remember when my girls were little and we lived in a snowy place. They had to wear so much padding that their little arms stuck out like sausages because it was hard to bend them.
That little sweetheart is as cute as can be!!