Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hey Look!!

I soldered something!! As it turns out, soldering is harder than it looks. This is not good for me (well actually it probably is.) I do not like "practice". I like to have an idea in my head, get the stuff and make it. I don't want to learn how to do something. I just want to do it. This is not the case when it comes to me and soldering. So, here is my first attempt. To get these four washer stuck together took me about 4 nights. And boy is it ugly. After that I had pretty much ruined my first soldering tip and had to start the mad dash all around town to find a store that carried more!
So last night the hubby and I had a date night (my sis watched the kiddo) so we ran to a couple stores to try to find more supplies. We finally found some of the things I had been looking for, namely copper foil tape. So I stayed up way past by bedtime last night and made this!
Extremely hard to see, I know. Basically its a collage of fun stuff put between two pieces of glass which are then soldered together. In a perfect world it would have a jump ring hooked to the top, but that must be part of the soldering 201 class, cause I couldn't get it to stick. Its pretty rough around the edges too, so this may not be jewelry grade work just yet. But hey, its stuck together!!!
Here is the view of the back. Again, horrible picture. Gonna have to work on fixing that.
So, obviously I need more PRACTICE, but its getting there.

3 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

I am sure with you on the whole not wanting to practice on something, I just want to do it right the first time!!! Keep practicing...can't wait to see some finished jewelry!

becki said...

well worth the late bedtime!! I love it!

Vallen said...

You are going to be great at this and then you're gonna have to teach me how to do. I've always wanted a soldering iron, too. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting we are the same person just different ages and in different places.