Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Nothing New...



Since the weather started to turn nice around here I've been searching through closets for a blanket to use outside. Nothing too nice. Just something to take to the park and sit on or snuggle up with by a campfire. I wanted a designated outside blanket. I couldn't find one, so I made one. I used absolutely nothing new in this blanket except the thread for my machine (which I did already have, but it was technically new.) Its not the most beautiful thing in the world. Its made mostly of old sheets and some fabric I got at a yard sale (the garbage bag for 50 cents). The lining is an old comforter I also garage saled for 50 cents.
It turned out to be pretty heavy, which I hadn't planned on. But it's actually perfect that way because it won't fly away when a big gust of wind comes up. I hesitate to use the "Q" word for this thing. It was never meant to be pretty or match and to put it in the same category as some of the amazing work I have seen out here would not be fair. But it's functional. It soaks up lemonade and protects our butts from grass stains. And that's all it was meant to do.
P.S. I forgot to take a picture of the back...I pieced some larger sheets together to make it fit.

10 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

awww! you made a beautiful QUILT! I love it. I never thought to make a quilt out of vintage sheets...then it has the vintage look ready made. I am so going to steal your idea for your QUILT! Nice job, Roxy...very nice job.

Unknown said...

Are you kidding me?? That is SO a quilt! And it's super pretty! :) Yay -- enjoy it!!

Vallen said...

Yeah, ann Margret is right. That is really terrific and is the perfect summer quilt. You are a genius.

Sarah said...

Ooo... I love it! So springy!

Amy Jo said...

If it looks like a quilt...and put together like a quilt....then it's a QUILT!!! Good Job - it looks beautiful! I love the blankets, I mean quilts, that look good, yet your not afraid to "use" it and make it functional!! Beautiful!

Rebecca said...

Umm Roxanne? That is soooo a quilt. And a gorgeous one! Don't sell yourself short, I couldn't make that if you paid me. (well maybe if you paid me a lot and gave me 3 years to complete it and full benefits and then MAYBE I would come somewhere near that cuteness.)

I would love to learn to "piece" together fabric. I don't know where to begin!

Breanna said...

A lovely, lovely quilt. And made in the true spirit of quilting I think, taking bits and pieces of this and that, and creating something functional. I love the colors.

Linda said...

I love it! The colors are so pretty! I think turquoise and pink are my new favorite color combination! And Yes, it IS a quilt! Nice work! I might have to go find myself some sheets at Savers or some place! I'm getting all sorts of ideas for repurposing things.

Very Mary said...

It's such a beautiful "Q" - I hope it soaks up memories along with lemonade!

Katherine said...

Love it, Roxanne! This is what I hope to do soon. I'm still feeding the vintage sheet stash because I want a gorgeous scrappy quilt like yours!