Thursday, May 24, 2007

Gifting - - Part Three



Without realizing it, I have done a three part post on gifting this week. Tomorrow will be another edition of Friday Goodies (also by chance!). But today, I present you with this project. Picnic Placemats I believe they are called. I was half way done making them before I realized the idea came from Lotta Jansdotter's book Simple Sewing which I browsed through at Barnes and Noble one day. A special thanks to Amanda for helping me with some fabric inspiration.
My sister and her family love to entertain outside in the summer months so I thought these would be perfect for her. I made 8 of them so she should be able to actually have people over and still have enough. They are pretty simple to construct, the most time consuming part was actually cutting the denim. That stuff is hard on rotarty blades! The green fabric is from the stash. I did have to actually purchase the denim, which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do. But denim was the perfect choice and I only bought enough for this project (seriously, only tiny scraps are left) and I got it on clearance. I think I spent $12 on 8 placemats. Not too bad for a birthday gift.
To celebrate my sis' birthday we are having a fun filled "girl's day" tomorrow filled with lots of food, some garage sale shopping and an afternoon of sewing. Sounds like a perfect birthday don't you think?

5 comments:

Claire said...

oy! those placemats/rolls are darling!!

Amanda Jean said...

they turned out great! love the little pocket on it. that is a nice touch. I am sure Becky will love them.

have a fun friday-sounds like you will have a fabulous time.

Breanna said...

I love the placemats! The colors look great together. Have a fabulous Friday, I hope the garage sales are plentiful, and filled with treasures.

Anonymous said...

You are the next Martha Stewart! Except I don't think you are a candidate for bad stock trades and prison! But the talent girl! You rock!!

Unknown said...

Ooooooooh, nice! You're so crafty! :D (I think I'll be "crafty" too and steal the idea one day.) ;)