Friday, August 24, 2007

A Real Simple Rant

Any of you out there subscribe/buy Real Simple magazine? I have for several years and have enjoyed it thoroughly. Until today. I was catching up on reading the August 07 issue before I cracked open the new Sept. issue I received in the mail. On page 69 is an article titled "Confessions of a Former Crafter" by Jacquelyn Mitchard. As Real Simple's index puts it..."Writer Jacquelyn Mitchard confesses that when it comes to crafting, she’s all thumbs." Well, yeah, sort of. She does admit that she isn't good at all things crafty, but then continues on to degrade and poke fun at various forms of craft. By the time I finished the article, my blood was boiling. It's fine if you can't craft, it's fine if you don't want to craft, it's even fine if you don't like crafters. But it seems rather immature to me to say that since I can't do it, its dumb. For example Ms. Mitschard writes...

"Before we go further, let me make a distinction between crafts and actual art - a distinction that's wholly my own and redolent of the bias born from my ineptitude. I don't put original photography or fine woodworking in the same category as say, creating note cards with stamps I've carved myself from raw potato pieces. (That would be crafts.) An elegant stool or wooden box is a time treasured artisan form; a beautifully made picture is a historical document as well as a pleasure to the eye. These are the works of artists. But a newly baked loaf of bread coated with shellac and tied with a ribbon is something else. As I see it, that's the work of someone young enough to be forgiven, old enough to be forgiven, or with way, way too much time on her hands."

Honestly, just typing that right now has made me even more mad. And trust me, it gets worse from there. I googled the article, hoping I could link you to the exact thing. I found a fellow blogger with the same feelings...check out her opinion as well. And, if you get a chance, check this article out at the bookstore. Then put it back on the shelf and walk away.

P.S. Okay, I just have to say that this is one of those times when I am so happy I have a blog!! Otherwise I would just be sitting here yelling at my husband about something he really couldn't care less about! Thanks for listening.

10 comments:

Raesha D said...

I felt the same way when I read this article!!! I've NEVER written a letter to an editor but I was so tempted to over this article.

Amanda said...

She's just jealous of us. She's got too many kids to take care of to have the time do do the kind of art we love and appreciate.
(Hanging head in shame that she's from Wisconsin....)

kirsten schueler said...

When I was an art major there was a whole craft backlash going on but when I took Surface Design (a fabric dying, fabric styling class) I became proud of my craftiness! I cringe at the shelacked dough of the 80s, but the handcrafts that we women do these days is a continuation and a celebration of the "women's work" of days past. 50-60 years ago almost every woman knew how to sew, almost every woman could fix a hem or do a simple embroidery. then we had the feminist movement which made women feel like they shouldn't have to do those things. which we shouldn't, BUT we should celebrate the history and cherish the skills of those women that came before us! Long live the embroidered tea towel and the quilt!! I also love the craty ingenuity of younger women these days! Lets celebrate craft, if it has done nothing it has at least brought all of us together! What a wonderful support group. I am sorry I rambled...this article makes me sick!

maggiegracecreates said...

Hey there - thanks for the "home phrases" you left over at MaggieGrace. I have not seen this article - I gave up on RealSimple years ago - over something that struck me as way too stupid to have even published.

I did however chuckle about the husband vs. blog comment.

Have a great day - Teresa

Very Mary said...

Well, now you know I'm going to have to drag my sorry arse to the local newsstand/deli/tobacco store/lottery ticket selling place (welcome to appalachia) and check out this article!

Breanna said...

I don't get the mag, and haven't read the article, not sure I want to. I'm proud of my crafty ways, and I guess I just don't care what others may think about it ~ I am happy, feel fulfilled, and believe that I am blessing my family with my efforts. I am thankful that I have the time on my hands to do such things.

LeeAnn said...

I feel sorry for her narrow view of art. Viva our crafts!

Katherine said...

I've not read the article, but just reading the quotes you used from it leaves me shaking my head. The author is welcome to her own opinion, but I find that I can't agree. I don't "make things because I have too much time on my hands". I can't imagine viewing creativity in such a harsh way.
Kudos for sharing your rant, Roxanne. You're not alone in feeling this way, that's for sure!

Anonymous said...

I hope a lot of people do write letters to the editor! Grr...

Jessica said...

I felt the same exact way I too ranted about it on my blog!
Cheers