Tuesday, June 26, 2007


Last night I decided I just didn't have the right bag to use for my meeting this morning, so of course I stayed up way past my bedtime to get this done. It worked like a charm!

So, my big news - I am planning to volunteer at our local YWCA Emergency Shelter and teach some classes on making stuff. My first class will be in August and will be on making cards (not exactly my specialty, but luckily I know where to look for inspiration!!). I hope to also do classes on altering and embelishing clothes, making gifts, and decorating on a limited budget. I am really excited about teaching (which really surprises me!). I've been thinking about volunteering for a while and decided to just jump in and do something. I e-mailed the YWCA and told them what I like to do and this is what we came up with. I can't imagine being in the position these ladies are in, but hopefully I can help them learn something new, have a little fun and just try to think about something else for a couple hours. I know having a creative outlet has been a life and sanity saver for me many times, hopefully it will be for these women too. I'm sure I'll be talking more about all this as I plan the classes and will probably have a complete meltdown when the time comes - but for now I am just excited.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh! I just made a tote out of that same fabric.

Congrats on your teaching job!

Very Mary said...

I'd be happy to send some supplies your way! Let me know how many are in the class, and I'll fill you up with some freebies!

Amanda Jean said...

good for you and your new teaching opportunity! how cool...and I love your new bag. it's beautiful.

Linda said...

That is so awesome! What a great idea! I'm sure that this will be very rewarding for you.

Oh, and love the bag, too. Great colors!

Vallen said...

I can't wait to hear how this goes. You are an angel for volunteering!!!

Amy Jo said...

What a wonderful thing - I hope you enjoy it!!
Love the tote bag!