Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Before & After: Part 2

Before:
Old metal tray just taking up space


After:
Chalkboard calendar for my fridge


Okay, so I had a good plan, it just didn't turn out as great as I had hoped. Does that ever happen to any of you? I wanted to share the project with you anyway, because I think there are a lot of possibilities with it. I sprayed the tray with primer and put on a couple coats of chalkboard paint. This all worked great and I would highly reccomend it. The problem is that a big black tray stuck to my fridge doesn't look as cool as I hoped it would. I had planned to make a bunch of magnets to go with it (with words like birthday, appointment, playdate, etc.) but I think I might scrap the idea and try to think of some other calendar solution. Sydney on the other hand absolutely loves it, so if nothing else this is a great idea for a really transportable chalkboard for kids. Or it would be cute used as a tray for drinks - you could write the name of your beverage on the tray. Or as a menu board for parties, or a million other things I'm sure! Leave a comment and let's hear your ideas!!

7 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Very cool - I love it on your fridge - I don't think it looks bad at all! What a great idea! I so love the chalkboard/changeable thing idea!

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

Oh this is awesome. Love the blog!

ReminisceHeirlooms said...

Oh this is awesome. Love the blog!

Vallen said...

I think this is a terrific idea. Especially with the little word magnets.

Katherine said...

I sometimes find that my ideas don't always turn out as I imagined, but that can be a good thing. Here's a suggestion for an alternate use of your chalkboard -
It could work on car trips to keep kids amused if you pack along some magnets for them to use along with or without the chalk. You could use shape magnets as well as letters to let them either "write" or design/draw. The could play tic-tac-toe or X's & O's on it. Just some ideas, I'm sure you'll think of more.

Amanda Jean said...

I think it's cute on your fridge!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! You need your own TV show!!