Monday, March 26, 2007

Thrifted Transformations

I bought this frame at a thrift store a while back for a quarter! Not real attractive, but I knew it had potential. I really like thrifting old picture frames. Their cheap of course, but a lot of times you can get really nice frames that are actually made of wood, unlike a lot of the frames you buy these days. A quick spray paint and they are as good as new (or better!).



As soon as my postcards arrived from The Black Apple I knew I would definitely be framing one of them. So, I dug out this frame and some high gloss oil paint. I debated spray paint, but its too cold outside. And I was looking for a nicer finish than acrylic would give me, and I knew latex would take a ton of coats, so oil it was. We had this on hand from some past unknown project. After a good coat of black I let it dry and added some silver acrylic. I know, I know you shouldn't put acrylic over oil, but it worked just fine. Here is the finished product.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Love the frame and The Black Apple postcard!

Very Mary said...

It's perfect! I also admit to hoarding thrifted frames. I'm happy to announce that I have actually hung several pieces of art on my poor bare walls. For 5 years they've been artless and finally, this month, I found the time and bravery to hang, hang, hang. Where will you put this little darling?

Anina said...

I love it. I've had some frames waiting for me in the garage for years. They've even moved with me a couple of times. You're inspiring me to do something with them...

Amanda Jean said...

it looks fantastic! I love it.
I am also one of those who bends the rules when it comes to painting stuff...i.e. putting acrylic over oil...sometimes you just have to...right?

Raesha D said...

That is absolutely gorgeous and it looks like it was just destined for the print. I love it.