Thursday, January 17, 2008

There goes an afternoon...

A whole afternoon wasted playing with my sewing machine! My mom gave me a darning foot for my sewing machine for Christmas and I decided today was the day to figure out how to use it.
First I had to clean my machine though. If you participated in any of the felted sweater projects, I suggest you do the same! Mine filled up with lint very quickly with all those sweaters running through it!

Then I had to figure out how to get the foot on the machine using only a small (bad) drawing as my instruction. I figured it out eventually, after dismantling a few things!




Then I went nuts! Free motion sewing is so much fun! I will definitely have to think up some new projects so I can do this some more. I think I was probably going too fast, my stitches got a little big in some places and honestly I was scared I was going to sew myself a couple times. So next time slow and steady is the plan.


Here was my first attempt at some free motion embroidery. Looks a little childish, I think I need a little practice!



So that's what I've been up to. Not cleaning, doing laundry or putting away Christmas decorations. Just playing!

6 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

that looks like fun! the laundry and the cleaning and the decorations can wait. :)

Anonymous said...

I have GOT to pull out the little tool box that came with my sewing machine (actually, it's my mom's... I've just been "borrowing" it for the past, um, 10 years or so) and try out the other "feet". I would love to do free motion sewing so hopefully there's something in there for that! :)

Thanks for the nudge. It looks like you had loads of fun! :D

Katherine said...

Yes! That definitely looks like a great way to spend your afternoon, Roxanne. What will your first project be with this newfound skill?

becki said...

I love the new banner! It's fun to try some free hand embroidery with the zig zag stitch too, but you have to make sure the zig zag is closer together for more of a satin stitch! You will have to give that a try. Looks like you will have fun with free motion, it's probably my most favorite thing to do. I can't wait to see your projects!

Very Mary said...

Ooooh - banner-licious! I just redid mine, too. Must be the thing to do when it's negative degrees outside.

Anonymous said...

free motion machine embroidery was my plan for the evening but I'm thinking I'll just go to bed instead :) Thanks for the inspiration--maybe tomorrow.