Friday, February 2, 2007

Tried Something New Today!


I made my own lip balm! I've been searching through the gagillion recipes out there, but then decided to just make it up (Of course! This is how I make everything!). So I've been assembling the ingredients: beeswax, almond oil, vitamin E & some essential oils. I decided my first batch would be a combination of orange oil and peppermint. I must say it turned out pretty good! The smell when you open it is great, but its not too much. I think I might use a little bit more essential oils next time so the scent lingers just a bit after you put it on. I used my new watchmaker tins from Lee Valley that I got yesterday. These are reason enough to try this out! They are just too cute.

So, for all you naysayers out there...is this going to save me hundreds of dollars every year on lip balm? Probably not, but I was able to get all my supplies with gift cards I had received for Christmas. (Most of the items are from our GNC store in the mall...probably overpriced compared to other resources, but I had a gift card for the mall that I would have never used otherwise.) And the quality you ask? It goes on very smooth, and lasts longer than most, plus smells great! And, I am in control of all the ingredients, so when my daughter eats it, which will inevitably happen despite my best efforts, I know it won't kill her!

Hope you all have some fabulous plans for the weekend. I hope to rearrange things in my craft room to try and get a little more usable space. Made a quick trip to the library last night, so I hope to fit these things into the schedule as well!

6 comments:

becki said...

Making lip balm looks like fun, and you can make any flavor you want! How cool!! I've never tried anything like that, but always wanted to make those cute little bars of soap...hopefully someday I will get at it!! Looks as though you will have a nice comfortable weekend! I on the other have to trudge out in the coldness for quilt guild and also plan on making a swing by the thrift store to find some wool sweaters so I can make some stuff on sunday. Hope you continue to keep warm!!

Amanda Jean said...

hope you are having a great weekend Roxy. Your watchmaker tins look so cool...definitely reason enough to try out making lip balm. Glad that you had good results. I tried it once, and I didn't have the best results, but hey, every craft can't turn out fantastic, right? The sew stylish book looks like it would be fun. I was planning on going to the library myself today, but we are under a serious blizzard warning for today...so it's best I just stay in. Hope the craft room reorganizing is going well. I need to do the same, but am a bit too lazy.

Very Mary said...

OK! How much are you charging for this genius creation?! I need some!

Raesha D said...

I need some too...I am an absolute lip balm JUNKIE!! At most times I have three in my jewelry drawer, 6 at my desk at work, 3-4 in my purse, one in the car, and random ones laying all over the house:):) SO can I buy one, or swap you something for one:):) Email me if you are interested at raeshadrz at yahoo dot com

Amy Jo said...

That is really cool. Never thought about making it myself!
Might have to try.

becki said...

That is too weird!! That is the same weekend 2 of my friends and I are going!! We really don't have a game plan, but I know that hitting the mall will probably be a must!!