Thursday, July 23, 2009

Memory in Fabric

My kiddo's birthday is coming up soon (she'll be FOUR already!) so I've been trying to get a little head start on some gift making.

I first saw this idea here months ago, via the Craft Magazine blog I believe. They have been on my mental to do list ever since and it feels good to cross them off. I get a little sick of all the commercial toys out there...can you even buy Memory without some sort of TV show or Disney character on it? Regardless, what could be better than fabric?

They were very easy to make [cut cardstock 3"x 6", cut circle, create fold line, coat with rubber cement, place fabric, fold and press firmly. Repeat many many times.] I used a fiskars circle cutter set at 2 inches. Also would be a great reason to invest in a large circle punch which would have many other uses. I think these will be one of the standby kid gifts that I make ahead of time and have on hand. Wouldn't it be fun to do themed versions with Christmas fabric?

I'm not sure how long these will last. They are just cardstock after all, but I'm hoping the little pouch will help increase their lifespan a bit.

P.S. I just got back from the thrift store with the table I've been searching for. Check back soon, I'm going to need your help to transform it into a kitchen! I am really excited about this project!!

4 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

so cute! i love the matching pouch. :)

Katherine said...

Fantastic! What a great idea for a gift and to give Sydney a head start on a love of fabric. hee hee

Very Mary said...

idea: cover them with clear contact paper for durability!

lifewithquads said...

Very cute. I did a similar thing for my neice but used pictures on chip board squares. You can see it here http://tvdesigns.blogspot.com/search/label/game